Grant Program Eligibility:
Grant Program applicants may include any Westfield Public School staff, parent or town resident working with a faculty member, non-profit community-based organization, and/or local business. Grant funds are not intended to replace or relieve the existing responsibility for public funding of school programs by the City of Westfield, nor are they intended to substitute for regular budget growth and maintenance. Grants will not be awarded for:
- salaried positions
- programs, equipment or services cut from the school budget
- substitute teacher stipends
- retroactive compensation
- sports teams
- computers or other technology
- prizes for reward-based programs
The Westfield Foundation for Education grant program is intended to compliment, not duplicate or replace, the efforts of local PTO/PTA and Parent Groups.
An emphasis will be given to programs, projects and activities that fall into the following categories:
- Inventive approaches to meeting the challenges of a 21st century education
- Instruction based programs that add life experience value to the curriculum (i.e. expert-in residence, etc.).
- New and innovative teaching practices and curriculum ideas.
- Expansion of successful WFE funded projects.
Special consideration will be given to grants that:
- Include a large number of students/teachers/community members.
- Are multi-year, collaborative efforts.
- Promote collaboration among classes, grades, schools, academic teams, and community initiatives.
- Strengthen academics and meet curriculum objectives.
- Address an essential educational need in the schools.
The Foundation will provide assistance as needed to a grant applicant during the application process. Grant applicants may be asked to participate in a discussion with the Grant Review committee. The Westfield Foundation for Education will award grants based on the merits of each proposal and the ability of the Foundation to fund them. Partial funding may be awarded when sufficient funds are not available.
Applications should be emailed to Laura Taylor at Laura.Taylor719@gmail.com OR mailed to
Westfield Foundation for Education, c/o Volunteers In Public Schools, City Hall, 59 Court St., Rm B17, Westfield, MA 01085
Applications must include the signature(s) of all participating staff, their immediate supervisor(s). For parents, residents, businesses or organizations outside of the school community, you must include signatures of collaborating school staff (e.g. teachers, school principal, Superintendent of Schools).
Grant Process Timeline:
2017 – 2018 Grant Cycle
Grants Available November 1 – December 8, 2017
Grant Application Deadline December 8, 2017
Grant Awards Announced by January 1, 2018
All grant award funds must be used within 12 months of the award date.